September 19, 2012

Article 5 by Kristen Simmons Review

Article 5
Article 5 #1
by Kristen Simmons
Published on January 31st 2012
Tor Teen, 362 pages
Find the title on Goodreads

New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned.

The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes.

There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back.

Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren't always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it's hard for her to forget that people weren't always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It's hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different.



Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow.


That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings—the only boy Ember has ever loved.

- Goodreads.com description 

Article 5 is an awesome dystopian book. The society people live in is completely awful and people are literally being killed everyday and noone can do anything about it. The book is filled with action, loss, people struggling to survive and good romance.

Ember. Wow, how much this character grew in the span of 350 pages. I was stunned. She grew form a normal teenager with low profile to a warrior girl fighting to save those she loves. And she was completely awesome! Though in the beginning I hoped she would have fought some more for herself, but she totally did it in the end of the book and I was proud!

Chase. Geez, this guy was completely unreadable in the beginning. I couldn't figure him out. But not for long. When he opened up a little, he became a gorgeous character. He was amazing and the force and will he had to protect Ember from the whole world, was so beautiful. 

The writing was very good as well. Kristen Simmons did an amazing job with Article 5. You could practically picture every word she written. Though, I wanted to know more about the Moral Statutes and understand better the articles. But I think there will be more word of it in Breaking Point ;)

I hadn't realized how fragile I was until that moment, when all the fear and anxiety slammed into me with the force of a sledgehammer and I cracked. 

"I got in a fight," he said with a small smile. "With a tree," he added when he saw my distress. My eyes widened. "I guess you lost." "You sh-should have seen the tree."

I wondered what he'd done that had been so terrible that he wouldn't accept even an ounce of kindness from another person. It seemed impossible just then that I could ever hate him more than he hated himself.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...