September 19, 2012

Lengths by Steph Campbell and Liz Reinhardt Review

Lengths 
by Steph Campbell and Liz Reinhardt
Published on August 10th 2012
CreateSpace, 170 pages
Find the title on Goodreads - Amazon

Nineteen-year-old Whit Conrad leaves her conservative Pennsylvania home for sunny California, looking for independence, a fresh start, and a place to stash her grief. She promptly finds a job at a tattoo parlor, a craptastic first apartment, and one friend—Ryan—who is a little less friend, a little more benefits. 


Deo Beckett is a soulful surfer with a passion for tattoos and beautiful women. On the eve of his twenty-second birthday, he finds himself living with his grandfather, recently unemployed, and seriously adrift. He doesn’t know much about what he wants out of life, but he does know his current situation isn't cutting it. 

When Deo meets Whit, she’s all sexy makeup and fierce, smart-ass fun. It doesn’t take him long to see past her tough shell. And when he gets a good look at what's under all the superficial stuff that usually gets his attention, it leaves Deo wondering if there might be more to life than living fast and free. 

Too bad Whit has a past she doesn't plan on sharing—no matter how hot Deo is. She might want him, but she knows better than to let her guard down. 

Deo falls for Whit, and falls hard. But everything about her, down to that mysterious tattoo and the way she thrashes in her sleep, tells him that the girl he loves is hiding something. And the more he pushes for answers, the more Whit pulls away. 


Having your guard up is one thing, but are the lengths Whit goes to to protect her secret worth throwing away the second chance she has at happiness with Deo? 

- Goodreads.com description

So, everybody is talking about this new genre - New Adult. I was very intrigued by it and happy. College novels could be that thing that I was missing between YA and Adult novels. So, I decided to give it a shot.

Lengths was a good read. There is this college girl named Whit and she moved from home to study in California. She has many issues with her past and that's the reason she ran away. I must admit though, I found it very difficult to connect with her. Sometimes I did, sometimes I didn't. 

Deo. OMG he was such a sweet. From the first impression you think he's a bad boy, but really, he is not. He really cares about Whit and my heart was breaking for him because she didn't appreciate it as much as he deserved.

Lengths was written in dual POV, which was in a way good, but in the other not so much. I hate it when it happens, because I tend to put myself on the line with the guy, instead of the girl. Which is funny, but I rather say "What a bastard!" than "What a bitch!" Lol. I know, crazy. But in this book I felt just that, because Whit was just, well, Whit. And I felt sorry for Deo.

I didn't like the writing in this book. I am known for swearing a lot. I admit it. But in this book it was too much of it even for me. Which is saying something. But there were some quotes I've really liked. And the hot scenes were written good ;)

Overall, Lengths was a good book. It deals with loss, grief, sadness and coping with your fears and guilt. So, if you're searching for a book that deals with this kind of emotions, Lengths is the perfect book for you!

“No shit.” Deo plucks the license from my hands. “Wow, your hair was so long. Doesn’t even look like you.” 
That’s because it’s not me. It’s just a girl I used to know. Someone who didn’t understand how complicated and unfair life could be.

I resist the urge to laugh at my stupid luck.The girl I can’t get out of my head just waltzed back into my life, looking like every fantasy I’ve never been creative enough to dream up, told me how much she’s wanted to call me and how much she likes me…and dumps me right in the fucking friend zone.
Fantastic.

“I guess some relationships are just like that.” Whit pulls her hair back like she’s making a tiny ponytail, then releases it so it swings back around her chin. “I get you, though. If someone is going to suck you in and wring you out like that, is it worth it to be with them? I’d rather just keep things casual and keep a handle on who I am than fall so completely in love and lose myself.”


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...